Sunday, September 25, 2011

Close Reading of a Passage

“Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow” (Shelley 31).



Thus far, in my readings of Frankenstein, I have found this passage to be very important on the story as a whole. Vincent Frankenstein is giving a very important statement into his soul’s thoughts. So early on in my reading this stuck out because I had not yet known what the entire story encapsulated. His wonder and excitement to dig into the evil sciences that intruiged him was his fall. The gravitational force to pursue this evil expidition was the cause for the turn of his life by the end of volume II of this book.

Vincent Frankenstein gives his own down fall and eventually it is something that falls over into his creation. In essense, V. Frankenstein is his own creation, the monster in which he produced. All together, the montrous creation that was formed was of the hands of V. Frankenstein, almost a mirror of his own interior image. Later in the story, the creator and creation meet and the creation speaks of his journeys. Much of his life seems a mirror of V. Frankenstein’s own life. Both lives full of wonder then a search for delight in their life, in which makes a twist into evil and hatred.  

I believe it is very important to notice these attractions and similarities of these two connected characters. I’m interested to continue reading to see if my speculation is at all accurate, but reading this far along I believe this to be a great correlation in the story. The main attraction of the story so far, it seems to be, this creator and creation relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment